Monday, August 13, 2012

Big Remo: Sleepwalkers


Big Remo is a Winston Salem, NC native who began writing lyrics at the age of 12. From living a life of hardships being raised as a young African American in a challenging community, Big Remo found a way to channel his thoughts and creative spirit. Big Ree lived a life of his own, being independent since the age of 15. His major influences included artist such as Slick Rick to producers such as 9th Wonder. Big Remo sets the bar high as a southern rapper by bringing a new school feel to an old school soul. He currently represents as an artist for Jamla Records created by 9th Wonder himself.

I got a chance to call up Big Remo and interview him. It felt great to sit down and talk to an artist who actually KNOWS music and its origin.


How did you come up with the name Big Remo?
I always loved the movie Beat Street. There was one character by the name of Ramo. He was a graffiti artist and he had a cinematic view in each of his pieces. Beat street was huge in the Hip Hop community. So 9th asked me one day "What are you going to call yourself?" He knows Hip Hop more than almost anyone in the world so I told him, "I love the movie Beat Street." Like Ramo, I also have a cinematic vision. 

What really made you decide to take Hip Hop and music seriously as a career?
It really was just 9th Wonder mainly believing in me. 9th called me one day and was like "David Banner is coming through to get on this track with you. Bring your lawyers there's business involved."  I met David Banner and we worked together. I was like "David Banner wants to work with me?" That's what really got me started, 9th believing in me.
How did your collaboration with 9th wonder begin? 
I was in a group of 3. I was on a track but I wasn't taking it serious. His brothers wife passed a demo and we were having fun. Getting found was minor dreams at the time. So 9th's sister in law passed it on and I was on the last track. As soon as he heard my verse he loved it. He said "That dude right dude is dope." That was a little after 9th started pushing Little Brother. He told me to take it serious and move over to Raleigh and come out to record with him at Fat Beats. That's how it all started.

My favorite 2 tracks off Sleepwalkers is "Swiss Cheese" and "They Gon Hate." What is your favorite track on the album?
It would have to be "Go Ladies pt 2" featuring Bun B and Bluu Suede.

The first track I have ever heard from you was "Slumdog Millionaire" produced by 9th Wonder. When was that track recorded?
I know the exact date. It was on April 19th, 2011.

Do you have any piece of advice for your fans?
"We are not presidents or civil rights activist but we are still people. I come from Winston Salem, I know where I come from but I also know exactly where I need to be. That's what you should also be thinking of."

You can download Big Remo's latest project "Sleepwalkers" by clicking here.
"I'm Back" Big Remo ft. Rapsody





No comments:

Post a Comment