Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Exclusive Interview: Dyme-A-Duzin


A Portrait of Donnovan:
Dyme-A-Duzin is a signed artist from Brooklyn, New York. His career boosted from being a Youtube sensation and now only reaching greater heights after signing to Warner Bro. Records. The difference between Dyme and other rappers is simply in my eyes Dyme isn't a typical rapper, he's an emcee who is only going to keep growing over time. He has opened up for artist such as Kreayshawn, Red cafe, B.O.B, Theophilus London, and Naughty By Nature.

Being a fan of Dyme myself since about 2009, two of my favorite joints Dyme has put out are "I Hate High School" and "The rebirth Of Swag". That's not to mention tracks off of the Phony Ppl album, "PhonyLand". I had the honor to ask Dyme a few questions about his career and how it all got started.

What is your biggest inspiration when it comes to music?

I really look up to artists like Eminem & Kanye West when it comes to lyrics. They've always been consistently clever with their verses and songs. My number one musical influence is probably Michael Jackson though. Every artist strives to be like Mike.

What made you decide to start taking music seriously?

It's just what I love to do. When I was younger I was really into art. I was one of top art students in my school. I used to draw cartoons and even real people. So I wasn't always a musician. Around the age of 11, I really started taking my time to write songs. It became what I love to do most.

What is the story behind the name "Dyme-A-Duzin"?

Years back I heard someone say "rappers come a dime-a-dozen". I've always been a rule breaker so when I was 11, I decided to take the term "dime-A-dozen" and flip the meaning. I thought "this term is used negatively, why not make it positive?". How about I name myself Dyme-A-Duzin, which means that I'm common and replaceable but be the best rapper I can be? I ironically surprise a listener whenever they listen to my music. I strive for greatness everyday in honor of all the rule breakers around the world.

What is your most favorite collaboration so far?

I enjoy collaborating with Plain Pat and Dj Kaslo. We're working on a project now. It's been pretty dope so far, just can't wait for the people to hear it.

Be sure to cop Dyme-A-Duzin's latest mixtape "20=X", hosted by Plain Pat.
You can download all of Dyme-A-Duzin's projects here at www.iamdyme.com

"What's going on people? This is Dyme-A-Duzin and you are now tuned into Good Vibes! "A Portrait of Donnovan" coming soon! New Videos coming soon! I'm back on my b.s! stay tuned."
-Dyme-A-Duzin

2 comments: